Friday, March 6, 2009

Ranch Related News

Tomorrow is my monthly Sexton Ranches Grass Fed Natural Lamb & Beef delivery day... I posted some photos and 'info' on the ranch blog.

Before I hook you up with a link, thought I would share some 'info'.

We have added eggs to our bag of tricks... Naturally raised chickens, who roam free (to my gardening and gorgeous back deck's dismay)... happy fat and sassy chickens...

Our chickens are darn lucky the dogs haven't eaten them (well, I take that back.... we have lost a couple to the evils of young dogs...as in MY FAVORITE HEN GOLDIE!)

Anyway, often 5 or 6 will sneak into a dog kennel to snatch dog food - with a dog in the kennel! Death wish! I didn't say they were the smartest chicks on the planet... As a matter of fact, one keeps laying eggs under my itty bitty wooden chair decor by the front door - then a dog comes and steals the egg.

Loose Dogs and Loose Eggs are an issue around here... 'Bugs' has been caught sneaking into the chicken house and stealing eggs! Just like his mother Maggie... But, we forgive him.. He is a cutiepie, how can we not love a dog that actually sits in the middle of all the younger chickens and just 'hangs out' like a guard dog! He hasn't eaten a live one (yet?), so he is forgiven...he also hangs out by Sami's goat Olive and calf Star..

So, I thought I would share some Chick-A-Wah photos, and what Spring looks like around here...

Oh.. Speaking of Spring, we got hit with a storm last night.. Crazy... At 4:45 pm I was watching HUGE flakes flowing down - then a sideways wind hit... 1 inch in gosh, 20 minutes?

It stopped, so we went to the school for the Dr. Seuss program... I was sitting on the fence on driving in a storm...

Then, when we left the school after the program - it was a blizzard! GADS...

No Spring...

OH!

Here is a link to the ranch blog post!

3 comments:

Sweet Blessings said...

Hi there...my mind is smiling at trying to envision the dogs & chickens hanging together...sounds like life on your farm is nothing but GOOD! Have a great weekend! Sweet blessings!

Suzanne C said...

Love your stories of the animal life. Can't imagine, especially when one old little dog is enough for me. :)

Diana said...

Your ranch sounds awesome. I grew up in an Iowa farming community and my husband works for a grain and commodity trading company. Hooray for "farm life"!

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...