Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What I Know About You - A Layout about my Father

What I Know About You
(click on image to read journaling)

This is the first 'real' layout I have made about my Dad. He died close to 20 years ago (this coming August) and every time I attempt to do a layout, I step away from it.

This layout was actually inspired by the current challenge over at the Good Grief Blog. The challenge is to 'report simply'. I have to say, making a simple list, and simple layout, finally brought me to the scrapping table - actually, digi-table. All that you see in the layout above are digi-elements, and very basic. Nothing fancy. (I'll add my sources later. This layout is due tonight!)

I have been following the Good Grief Blog for sometime. If you have lost someone close, and are grieving, I suggest you follow it, and leave a comment now and then so the girls don't feel alone. What they are doing takes so much courage! Let them know you are there supporting them and how much you appreciate their work. Eventually you will be able to tackle the emotions, and put your thoughts on paper as well. Believe me, it does take a while!

The photos: The top is from when I graduated from CSU Chico. 1988. I love how my dad has the tassle on his ear. He always had a playful sense of humor. My little sister Paula gets that from him. Two years after this photo was taken, my died. Who would have known???

The bottom photo: Is from the year I did a 'road trip' to Missouri with a girlfriend (we left from CA, with our backpacks -it was an epic trip!) and then, my Sister Avis & I drove the route back - she moved to CA that year. I was attending a Jr. College at the time, so it must have been 1984 or so... In the photo, my dad and I are leaning up against his convertible El Dorado Caddy.. That man sure loved his cars and convertables!! (There's another thing to scrapbook!)

Thank you to all the ladies at the Good Grief Blog. I finally did it. You are all an inspiration.

and, thank you to anyone out there reading this as well:)






18 comments:

Karen said...

What an endearing layout, Andi, and a great tribute to your Dad. I have a large series of photos that I have been unable to tackle due to the emotions they bring up. Good for you for finding inspiration, strength, and a method to do so through this fantastic creative blogging community! Thanks for sharing a bit of your Dad and more of you with all of us. :>

Amanda said...

I love this! Thank you so much for sharing...glad the Good Grief Blog could provide some help. Your dad sounds like a fascinating person! Wish I could have met him...

Elise said...

Oh, Andi.

This is absolutely extraordinary work. YOU are so beautiful - you and your dad are positively radiant! What a grand share! I will DEFINITELY be checking out that inspirational and beautiful blog...

I'm so proud of you. I KNOW how hard it is to scrap about this relationship, and may I just say, "you did GOOOOOOD!" I feel honored to see your dad's WONDERFUL face and know a teeny bit about his love for you ~ THANK YOU, so much for this brave and beautiful post. You're a treasure!

Virginia L. said...

Thanks for sharing your precious page and I know this must be SO hard. I hope you find peace after making this layout. GOOD for you ,Andi!

Diana said...

WOW, tributes are just grand. Thanks for sharing Andi!

Laura O'Donnell said...

great job with this, Andi!

Kelly Booth said...

LOVE this Andi....just a Perfect Layout and Tribute to you Dad.....
hugs...

Tami B. said...

This is so beautiful, Andi. I have tears in my eyes, so I can only imagine what it was like for you to create this loving tribute page. You may think it's simple, but it's perfect. Hugs.

Linda Beeson said...

What a nice layout, I need to do something like that about my dad and mom. Thanks for that inspiration. Thanks too for letting my know what the name of that wildflower is, I just loved them.

Sweet Blessings said...

What a sweet tribute to your Dad...and a beautiful layout! Thanks for sharing...praying those warm memories of him forever bring a smile to your heart! Sweet blessings!

an east coast (soon to be western) family said...

Andi: Glad I stopped by to see this post. What a wonderful layout and tribute to your dad. Very, very interesting! Like another poster said, I'm glad this challenge was able to help you to pull this together...what a wonderful gift for your kids, too. Classes end next week, so hoping to stop in more often....

Suzanne C said...

That is so touching and a lovely tribute! What an awesome idea.

Anne Gaal said...

Hi, Andi! Beautiful digi layout. And so touching! I think that it is wonderful that you were inspired to finally create a layout in your father's memory. Sometimes we just need some time before we can. Everyone has their own pace. And thank you for the courage to share your story so that others know they are not alone, too. :-)

Cheesemakin' Mamma said...

It is wonderful that you were able to do a layout about your dad. Very nice. You're dad sounds like he was a really great guy. So sorry for your early loss. Makes me appreciate having my dad (and even my grandpa) around even more.

Stamping Cafe said...

Oh, Andi!! This is precious and perfect! You are such an inspiration! Sending big hugs to you!!

iring said...

Congrats to you for finishing a tough layout! Your dad sounds like a lot of fun. I'm so sorry you lost him early in your life. (my husband's name is David Walsh!)
Thanks for recommending the Good Grief site, I know someone it may help!

Cindi (aka iring)

Sue McGettigan said...

Lovely layout Andi, bravo! It's not easy to start projects like this, but you did a great job and now you have a wonderful page about you and your Dad.

Guy Magallanes said...

You are the spitting image of your Daddy! I'll be heading out to the Good Grief Blog, thanks so much for sharing. Love you lots!

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...