Monday, August 6, 2007

Perfect Gravy - Why This Title???

I've been collecting stories about our ranch life experiences, well, mostly mine, since this is all new to me (12 years now) for several years. I did not grow up on a ranch like my husband, so every now and then, something 'exciting' or out of the ordinary grabs my attention that I want to capture! Some are hilarious mishaps on my part, others are 'near death experiences' (maybe just in my eyes) and others are about the simplistic beauty we get to experience living on a ranch.

So... Perfect Gravy... The story goes like this....
My husband was pretty surprised that I was not a gravy type of gal when we got married, meaning, I can live without it, don't really care for it, and thus don't make it! Well, Mr. Sexton is a died in the wool (no pun intended, seeing how we raise cattle and sheep!) Gravy Man... When I served mashed potatoes for the first time w/o gravy he just about fell out of his chair.. same with roasts... So Dick taught me to make his rendition of 'Perfect Gravy'...

Twelve years later, I still struggle with the 'technique' of getting the gravy just right... my closest batches often involve a ham, which has the best flavor in my city gal opinion...

Anyway, one crisp fall day, I needed a refresher on the recipe and went into Dick's office to consult with him one more time.. He gave me the instructions, and a light bulb went on... 'Ah Ha!', I said.. "That's It!!" "Yes, Andi, I've been trying to tell you this for years!" my husband explained...

"No Honey, that's the title of the book I am going to write "Perfect Gravy"...
So my readers, this blog is the closest I've come to getting our book off the ground.. My light bulb moment was about three years ago! No rush, right? After all, we do live in the slow lane out here!

OH! The book is also to have our recipes as well. I'll be posting those here, too...

4 comments:

Lisa Renéa said...

What a great blog title! Love your story! Hand over the gravy and nobody gets hurt!!!

Rayna said...

I can totally related to the 'Perfect Gravy' story. I, likewise, did not know how to make the 'PG' when I married....and was quickly informed this was a critical factor to happiness in the marriage with a lineage from Arkansas. It was the 'Chocolate Gravy on Biscuits' for breakfast that wiped me out....how can anyone insult their body with that?

To 'Perfect Gravy' and future musings on your Blog!

Dawn said...

Love the gravy story. I can help you with gravy...MMMMM...Lol.. can't waite to hear more stories...

Tami B. said...

Oh, how I love this title. Nearly every supper was served with some type of gravy when I was a kid...my family hails from Arkansas. I'm a CA native, but I have southern roots. Oh, yeah and I adore chocolate gravy & biscuits. It's really not a gravy at all, just a gorgeous hot chocolate sauce you pour over biscuits...mmmm! Wish I was close enough to help you with your gravy trials. I bookmarked you so I can visit often.

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...