Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Trailing of the Sheep!


RECAP OF ANDI'S GREAT ADVENTURE!

Photo #1: Moving the sheep out of the 'hot' pen.

Each night the sheep are penned up inside a hot wired pen, with the guard dogs. Purpose: to protect them from coyotes. In the background is the quad I drove, with just 1 helper - Lefty. 'Ol' what's his name' Ernest, decided I was not worthy of his assistance. Recap: I managed just fine to start the quad, load up 1 working dog, drive out to the pen, turn off the energizer, open the gate, and move out the herd! Woo hoo! Step 1: done!


Duke! Such a sweet dog.
Can I tell you how wonderful our new guard dog is???
He and Curious George are very tender, sweet and awesome!

Duke and George stay with the sheep. They get penned up at night with them, and move out into the fields with them during the day. Duke is 'to be led' along the quad, with a rope lead. Mainly, so he comes along with the herd and doesn't go off on his own adventures. Remember, Duke is our new 4 year old Guard Dog, and George is the baby. Recap: So, my instructions were to 'lead' Duke with a rope. Good thing the lead was around my wrist. Every time I tried to cross a ditch, or did something funky, I got a good yank - which told me poor Duke was at the other end! Hopefully I got the worse end... He is so darn sweet! Curious George follows Duke wherever he goes...


Photo #3: Move through first field
Phew! I got the sheep through the first gate. Had to find a good route for the quad, too many ditches! Lefty helped herd a little bit. For the most part, he stayed on the back of the quad and game me kisses. What a lucky girl I am!


Photo #4: Move through 2nd field
Yeah! This was the end of the line. Through the last field, and then push the sheep far enough back so the guard dogs are with them and everyone is 'content' for the day. I did it! Woo Hoo!


Photo #5: Curious George and Duke enjoying a snack!
I brought a can of dog food to treat the guard dogs. I think they like this idea! Here they are, enjoying their 'good boy' treats!

So, that's a wrap folks. I did it! The gates are left open, because during the day, the sheep will gradually make their way back to bed down for the evening. Dick will pen them up again, with Duke and George, turn on the hot fence, and we repeat this morning's adventure... It took perhaps 45 minutes, max. Duke and George might come back on their own, searching for more food. If so, they have food and water waiting behind the brown shed, outside of the yard. They are learning that the yard is a 'no' zone... so we go visit them out in the fields...

Wondering what the rest of the day entails? Here's my day in it's entirety:
  • Wake up at 4:30 am. If cold, stay snuggled until 4:45! Prep kitchen for breakfast 'crew'
  • Start 1 load of laundry
  • stretches and coffee!
  • Wake up kids, 5:45 am
  • Feed kids
  • Check backpacks - snacks, homework, soccer supplies, etc.
  • Get kids on bus, 6:40 am
  • Feed chickens, check goats, cats, dogs. Note: Kid pets, not mine!
  • Check garden for frost damage
  • today's assignment: Move sheep!
  • More coffee - toes and fingers are cold! Brr! It was low 30's out there...
  • Goal: Clean house: 2-3 hrs
  • Goal: Yard Work: 2-3 hrs
  • Goal: Work on grants 2-3 hrs
  • Meet husband in town. Unload lamb sausage at storage freezer
  • Pick up kids 2:15pm
  • Kid hair cuts: 3:30 pm
  • Drive home - chores, homework, prep dinner
  • take son back to town, soccer game 6pm
  • Get home 7:30pm. Dinner!
  • Make sure kids have showered, clothes out for tomorrow.
  • Bedtime for kids: 8pm. Help with their prayers.
  • Bedtime for mommy: shortly there after!
  • Thank God for another wonderful day on this great place and for such a great life!
Say an extra prayer - September 11th.
Thank you to all the men and women and families that have made personal sacrifices so that we can enjoy the life we have. We are truly lucky to have the freedom to pick our careers, our lifestyles and where we want to live in this Country. I, for one, am truly grateful, and humbled by what other's give up on our behalf. God bless those that have suffered great losses, and God Speed for those that continue to sacrifice and protect us.
Thanks be to God
Amen

5 comments:

Debra Day said...

What a beautiful prayer Andi. It is perfect and should be on your blog every day. Thank you for the reminder. I will follow suit today to my thankfulness of all those protecting our country. God Bless.

BTW, you have an amazing day! Love the schedule. I'm ashamed of mine. Too much free time until I head to school. Love ya... Cuzn D

Dawn said...

Andi, I have no idea why I am crying...lol it must be pms..Your day is so awesome.. I can't believe you get that much done before 6am. Oh, how I wish it were that cold here. I am a cold weather gal. I think it's time for me to start thinking of comming out there. I soo want to see all this irl....have a great adventure today....

*karendianne. said...

Dig this. Photo number 5 is Working Dog Magazine material!

I completely enjoyed reading your day. A peek into the inner workings of your life and its perfectly you!

*karendianne. said...

Keep the Duke stories coming, too!

Dog Love, *karendianne.

Kerilou said...

You are a cowgirl!! LIke the new George Strait song!! Keri

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...