Monday, October 15, 2007

We Have Not Inherited the Earth....



from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children... - Native American saying..

My friends... Today is Blog Action Day. A day to speak out in favor of your environment, yes, 'your' environment, not 'the' environment....

A day to reflect on the little steps you are taking to make global change. Little steps are all that are needed, as in, 'Act locally, think globally'.

So, here are some ideas if you are in a funk:
  • Food: Reduce your use of pre-packaged stuff... buy in bulk - and bag it yourself!
  • Food: Buy closer to the source - direct from market, direct from farmer/rancher - this saves fuel since the food travels less, and the food tastes better! Hey, you might even make a new friend!
  • Food: Buy natural or organic. Less fossil fuels, no pesticides/herbicides, no antibiotics, no steroids or added hormones - and hey! It's good for your health too!
  • Food: bring your own shopping bags to the grocery store... recycle, recycle, recycle!
  • Food: (it's my thing, can you tell?) Cook, eat out less, and skip a few of those drive-thru desires (yes, this includes that double-mocha-java-whatchamagizmit!)...
  • Speaking of Coffee: Buy good coffee beans, a grinder, some 1/2 and 1/2 and make your own at home! Love your home and your space - no need to 'go out for a cup o' Joe'
  • Skip the lawn fertilizers and chemicals... Yes, it can be done. We are proof! So you have some dandelions - those are beautiful flowers to your kids! And the latest is dandelions might have some sort of cancer fighting benefits! How about that???
  • Save fuel: Make fewer trips to the grocery store... Keep a list of items you need as they run out, and then go shopping! Keep the basics well supplied - eggs, bacon, butter, milk, coffee, flour, potatoes, onions, lettuce. Things you use in everyday meals.
  • Speaking of Butter: Get the real stuff! Again, the less processing, the better for you! I have never been a margarine or fake butter or fake egg girl... It's my belief that real food means less foreign pathogens in your body, and less cancer stuff...
Enjoy this beautiful plant we call earth. I hope you live in a place where you can take a deep breath of fresh air, and that the water you drink is clean. These are the basics of our survival, and the little steps that we can take to keep them clean for our children's future, is paramount.

Need any good books? Here are some suggestions:
The Omnivores Dilemma, by Michael Pollan
Animal, Vegetable, miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver


Have a beautiful day...

5 comments:

*karendianne. said...

Fantastic! Great to bring these ideas to the front of everyone's awareness.

Reduce Your Footprint Love, *karendianne.

ScrappyPam said...

Amen!!

Dawn said...

Andi, I just think you ROCK!! I carry a big huge canvas purse. when I go to the store for lunch or small items I use my bag instead of plastic. And when I go to the store I bring my own bags. I love the tips you give here. The food is really important. great tips and ideas..

Kerilou said...

You are so right about the butter...well, everything, but I can relate to the butter. I was just telling my mom the other day that I went all butter...I said--can you imagine what all those chemicals in margerine are doing to our insides? I expect she will be switching over any time! Hehehe...All kidding aside, all you have to do is watch Dr. Oz on Oprah one time and you will never use margerine again!!
Keri

Michelle said...

Great tips Andi! Hubby and I were just talking about the butter and meat the other day. We had bought a roast at Whole Foods - free range, none of the antibiotice, steroids, etc. It was awesome! We had it for dinner last night, and it was sooooooo yummy. All of this really has me thinking about what we buy and eat.

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...