Friday, May 29, 2009

Train Wreck

It started as a gorgeous Friday...
Sami and I went for a walk.
Then I got ready for a party and some town errands.

I was heading to town to do my thing and and get my 'potluck dish' for a 'forced retirement' party for one of our teachers... yeah, that budget thing.

But, there was a train wreck about 8 miles from here. Check this out:

Local Paper

I was driving to town, and once I got on the highway, I saw those 'construction 'signs and 'be prepared to stop' signs...

Holy Moly. A real wreck. LOTS of the cars were off the track. Broken. Folded. Smashed. Big things.

By the time I got there the highway was opened again to one lane guided traffic. And that was about 9:30 am.

No one was hurt, thank goodness.

I felt so small compared to all that metal. My SUV is itsy bitsy compared to one train car...

Our rail line is for freight only.

Thank God it was not a passenger train.

The train tracks border the East Side of our ranch, for about 3 miles... This same train came by us, sometime during the night... Then derailed 8 miles down the track. Goodness...

The rumor I heard in town (at the Livestock Feed store!) was the switch messed up and caught the rear end of the train as it was passing and just pulled it like a whip.

Oh my...

1 comment:

Anne said...

Hi, Andi! How scary! Glad no one was hurt! And that no livestock got loose from your farm either! :-)

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...