Monday, September 17, 2007

A Blue Monday - Chicken Soup Therapy!


Grandma Marina with Sami and Jake
In her living room, in Freedom, CA. March 2007

Thank you everyone for your sweet notes and condolences regarding our two guard dogs.
Today was my 'blue' day. Our company (The Good Ol' Boys) left this morning, kids went off to school, and I was left alone with my sad little heart. It was very hard to get motivated to do anything productive.

So, tonight we are having Grandma Marina's Chicken Soup for dinner. This recipe is what I use for when one of us is coming down with a cold. It is a wonderful cure! I also use it for comfort food, and right now, I am needing the warm of my Grandma's loving soup to warm my soul.
By the way, my Grandma will be 95 in November!

Here is the recipe:

GRANDMA’S CHICKEN SOUP

Ingredients:

One fryer, cut up

Salt

Head of Garlic

One stalk of celery, cut up

Carrots, cut up

Tomato (one small one, or ½ medium), chopped

Two handfuls of pasta (rice, potato, macaroni or noodles)

½ dozen green onions, chopped

  • Wash chicken and cut up
  • Put water in soup pot and boil
  • Put chicken in pot of boiling water, add salt to taste
  • Add garlic, cleaned and whole
  • After 25 minutes of boiling, add celery, carrots, tomato, pasta and onions
  • Bring to second boil, then let simmer for 15 minutes

I also add tortilla salad wraps to our meal.

Heat corn tortillas in butter. Remove when cooked. Add grated cheese, bite size lettuce pieces and cut up cilantro. Roll up. To eat - hold in one hand, your spoon in the other. Dip salad wrap into soup, take a bite, alternate with spoon and salad! Yum....

5 comments:

Sandy said...

sounds yummmmmmmy!!!!!! how did it turn out?

Anonymous said...

Great now I am sooooo hungry.. I am at work till 7 so I am stuck in hunger mode...LOL this soup sounds so yummy. Sorry you have the empty nest blues. Hope you took the time to make a few cards or get inky...Smile...

Kerilou said...

This sounds so good! Easy, too! Thanks for sharing. My Grandma is going to be 87 in two weeks. I treasure her recipes. You are so inspiring for me! Hope things get better...keep busy, and watch your mail!! *Ü* Keri

*karendianne. said...

I thought about this photo last night. To think how blessed the little ones are to spend time with Grandma like that - truly. This photo is a real treasure, Andi. It really stuck with me. I can BARELY imagine what it must be like to watch them interact with Grandma. It must make your heart go "pitter patter" in a very unique, special way. Uh.

Sappy Love, *karendianne.

Debra Day said...

Grandma's Chicken Soup is special! I love that it is so easy to make. Your side of tortilla with lettuce etc. sounds good too. I'll try that one. I wish I had a BBQ cuz I'd get me some Sexton lamb TODAY! But with moving I won't even have an oven!
Thanks for the tasty memories. I love the pic of the kids with Grandma. At first I thought it was Jennifer and Geoff years ago!! (Aunt Gloria's twosome)

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...