Thursday, September 13, 2007

Recipe Thursday - Lamb Shanks Drennan

Below is a wonderful recipe passed on to us from one of our Baker lamb customers, Marleen B. But, before I share the recipe with you, a few notes:

Lamb Shanks, for those of you novices out there, are the lower portion of 'the leg', below what you and I would call a knee. This is the cut used for such delicacies as Oso Buco, or Baby Legs. Restaurants love to serve lamb shanks standing up on the plate, meaning, the bone is at the top, and the meatier end sits on your plate... add mash potatoes, and yummers... a tasty dish!

You always want to braise Lamb Shanks, to seal in the juices, and by all means never separate the meat from the bone prior to cooking (huge no no). The bone is what adds the extra tasty flavor, as in any meat dish. Why people are ordering meat cuts w/o the bone is beyond me!

Here is Marleen's recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 4 Lamb Shanks (Sexton Ranches Natural Lamb of course!)
  • 1/4 lb butter
  • 2 onions - sliced
  • 1/2 C dry white wine
  • 1/2 C tomato juice
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 1 tsp powdered ginger (or, treat yourself to freshly grated!)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 C Chicken broth
Directions:
Melt butter in large skillet. Brown shanks well and place in a casserole dish - keep butter in skillet. Saute onions in skilled and remaining butter. Add dry wine and tomato juice, paprika, powdered ginger, salt, pepper and chicken broth. Cook and stir mixture for a few minutes, then pour over shanks. Cover and bake at 250 degrees for 3 hours or until tender - aka, when the meat falls freely off the bone...

Marleen's recipe also suggested that you 'remove fat from shanks' prior to browning.
HUGE NOTE: I would not! If you are eating a grass fed meat product, the FAT is where your healthy Omega 3 fatty acids are..meaning, your cancer fighting friends. Quit killing yourselves...if you are trying to cut your fat intake, quit eating all those nasty white bread products! And, besides, the fat is also a big flavor contributor..


We love lamb shanks cooked in a crock pot. It is definitely one of my favorite Fall recipes. I add potatoes, carrots, mushrooms and some favorite spices! Check out our website www.sextonranches.com for our ranch tested lamb shank recipe as well.

And, don't forget the red wine... another one of my cancer fighting buddies!



7 comments:

Sandy said...

Lamb's knees? KNEES? Do they walk around on stumps then?? :P

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Is that anything like bee's knees?

(Ok I'm not as sorry about that one.)

:P

*karendianne. said...

Oh girl, that sounds yummy!

Debra Day said...

I brought my crock pots (several sizes) so I can still enjoy a nurturing winter meal when I FINALLY arrive in a city where there IS winter! I'm going to go for the shanks above the ankle and below the nobby knees! :))

Kerilou said...

Andi, I seriously doubt I could eat lamb...I have issues with alot of stuff like that...all I would picture is that cute little fluffy baby!! I know, get a grip! Keri

Garrett Michael Hayes said...

That is virtually the same recipe my father passed down to me over 30 years ago, almost exactly word for word. The only differences are 1/2 tsp Pepper vs. 1/8, and 250 vs 300 degress.

When I make it these days, I make two modifications. I use a 12 oz can of low sodium V-8 juice instead of tomoato juice, and I transfer the browned ingredients to a crock pot for slow cooking over about 5 or 6 hours.

Dipping sourdough bread in the juices as I type!

JAGAJAK said...

My mother just passed and we are having this tonight in her honor. Same exact recipe she used this recipe almost word for word for I bet 40 years and it still stands up. Excellent!! Thanks!

Unknown said...

MY MOTHER-IN-LAW GAVE ME THIS RECIPE OVER 30 YEARS AGO AND IT IS STILL MY FAVORITE LAMB DISH AND MAKE IT EVERY CHANCE i GET. My husband loves his mother's recipe also.

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...