Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Sad Day Here - The Iron Horse Strikes


Duke. Mr. Duke. The Dukester, Dukemyster,
Dukaramma Jamma..


Sami and Curious George - er, Georgette!


Where do I start? Do I go straight to the bad news? Or, break the news gently.....
I'll try to choose my words carefully...

Yesterday was a long day, to say the least. Up at 3:13 am and left at 4:30 am for the Boise farmer's market. I knew it was going to be a 'whopper' of a day.. The night before, Friday, while I was in bed the phone rang. My husband came into our room (I was in bed - early to bed, early to rise!) to let me know my father in law, Hank Sexton and his friend since 2nd grade, Don Otterson were in route from California and should be arriving the next day.... Excuse me? Couldn't I have had some more 'prep' time? You know the drill... clean the house, change bed linens, shop for groceries... Oh well. We would have to make due....

And, before your minds race ahead of me, no, the bad news has nothing to do with my two 'Good Ol' Boys!'... Thank God for some miracles....

So. Jake and I got home about 4:30 pm from Boise. Sami won her Soccer game (which I missed - more bad news, but they won - some good news!). The Boys hadn't arrived yet, so I proceeded to get busy with the 'quick clean'. I also checked the phone messages... That is when the dark clouds arrived...

The first 'bad news' message was from our tenant living in the Farm House at the south-east end of the ranch. It was about 8:30 am, and he wanted to know if we had 2 guard dogs missing, he spotted two near the railroad tracks... The railroad tracks run along our eastern border for about 3 miles.. the entire length. I was confused... what was he saying about the dogs? Then, another message. "Dick, I took the collar off the smaller dog, and they are your dogs. I moved them away from the tracks."

What??? Was he saying our dogs got hit? Our beautiful dogs? Duke and Curious George, who just arrived 2 weeks ago??? My sweet buddies who helped me move sheep this last Tuesday?

My heart is broken. There is no other way to say this. Our sweet guard dogs chased the train, and the train 'won' the race. They were both killed...

Today is Sunday. Sami and Dick left about 30 minutes ago for Milton-Freewater. A 5 hour round trip. They are going to see if they can find two more guard dogs to bring home. They will return about 5 pm. The place they are going has dogs that are 'not as domesticated' as our sweet two were. These ones spend the summers in the mountains with sheep, and will be more timid toward humans, and hopefully, the "Iron Horse". Oh. When Dick went to get our sweet babies away from the tracks, he made a discovery... George was not a he. George was a she!!!!!

As a side note, when we moved here 8 years ago we brought 3 guard dogs with us: Sparky (my special pet who was my partner in crimes and walked with me when I was pregnant with Sam Sam); Vince (a huge male dog that was a true worker!) and a young female, Barkley.... Shortly after we moved here Barkley was also killed by the train. Some dogs chase cars, and in our case, trains. Unfortunately, the bigger beast usually wins...

I'll keep you posted on our new arrival(s) another day. OH! Our other Boys (the 80 year old human variety) arrived safe and sound last night. They arrived at 5:00 pm - a half hour after I got home. My Father in Law broke the ice by wanting to know if it was party time!' (it's five o'clock somewhere!!!). On Dick's list for his trip home is to buy 'more red wine' and snacks for this evening. The 'boys' just about emptied my supply. They took off on an adventure this morning and will be back tonight, promising to return by 'at party time'! I'm sure I'll have a story to share with you later! My father in law is a hoot! I will say it is nice to have their free spirit attitudes to take my mind off Duke and Georgette.

Peace be with Duke and Curious Georgette. I hope their spirits are with us, guarding us, and that they realized how much their short time with us was special, and that their spirits will always have a special place where they are welcome to roam. Want to hear an interesting thing? Last night about 8:30 pm all the dogs howled, a sad, mournful song. I have to believe it was a farewell to our two angels.

Thank you for listening..

10 comments:

Sandy said...

Awwwwwwwwww Andi, I am SOOOOO sorry!!! When I lived on the ranch in MT, we had a train that ran at the edge of the property and lost so many critters to that danged iron horse. Fortunately my "inside" dog only rolled on the remains, never seemed to want to race the train.

((((((((((big hugs))))))) specially to the kiddos.

Dawn said...

(((((((BIG HUG)))))) You know how I feel and we love you guys...it's gonnna be ok.

~Stacy said...

i am so very sorry for your loss andi, and i cant find your email anywhere... mine is my screen name at clearwire.net

((( HUGS )))

Kerilou said...

Oh, Andi! You poor thing! I cannot tell you how sad I feel. I have a pit in my stomach just reading your news. I am so sorry that this had to happen to you and your family. Those poor animals! I will say a little prayer for you all. NY Hugs, Keri

Anonymous said...

Sad news indeed! They looked so precious and loveable. As they all are. I'm sorry the iron beast is in your vacinity and taking your sweet babes away. They were valiently trying to protect the property from that huge monster. Poor pups. Big Tears...

reflections:0) said...

Andi and family~


I am so very, very sorry about your loss...

{{{{HUGZ}}}} To all...:0(

Flexie:0(

Aunt Alice said...

Andi and kids and Dick: I just read of the terrible accident of your wonderful dogs. I feel so terrible, almost like I got to know them through your words and pictures. I hope the kids are OK and that the new dogs will fill that empty place in their hearts. Aunt Alice PS Debra's comment was anonymous by mistake!

*karendianne. said...

I'm just starting to crawl out and my gosh how my heart breaks to read this. I picked myself up seeing the photos of the kids with Grandma as well as reading the yummy Chicken Soup recipe.

Very sad this happened, Andi. Very sad. :< Love, *karendianne.

(ps: send email - em addy was lost in the pc meltdown)

Sue McGettigan said...

Andi I'm so sorry to hear this news, God bless you and your family and those poor dogs! Glad the 'boys' turned up to bring some light and laughter into the house, they sound like a hoot :)

Godelieve said...

Oh, how sad Andi...

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...