Sunday, September 6, 2015

There's a Chill in the Air! Sunday Musings. September 6, 2015

Soon this will happen (photo from last September 16)

A card I made two weeks ago for Miss E - BFF of 30 plus years

 
First Day of School Cookies - Delivered to School on Monday

Elk.  Yes, out there in that field.  This is on my commute home from work.

Jake taking his driver's test on Thursday.  He passed!

Soccer game in the rain. Yesterday. 

 Happy Sunday!   

Once again Rosie is sitting in my lap as I type.  French pressed coffee (Sunday treat) is left of the keyboard, and the clothes washer is stuck on the 'suds' mode.  It happens when I only wash one item and get carried away with the liquid detergent.  And, the yard is littered with the first fall leaves. 


It's cold here in Haines, Oregon.  We woke to 30 degrees.  It's 65 in the house and I refuse to turn the heat on - although I did turn on my electric blanket yesterday when I got home from Sami's soccer game after sitting in the rain -  I crawled into my bed to get warm - and for a nice long nap.  My toes were cold.  I left the house at 7:30 am to drive to her game in Idaho, for an 11 am game.  Idaho is an hour ahead of us so there's that extra hour to factor in.  Oh.  And no one was at the field that the coach sent out directions to.  Slight panic attack.  Thank goodness for cell phones and tracking down other people.  My contact was in Oregon and was not coming to the game - but at least she got the 'secret' text with the correct location. 

Vent: Even though I signed up on the 'here's my cell phone, email, bla bla bla' list. I am still left out of the loop.  I blame it on the fact that my 'kid' doesn't go to the same school she plays soccer for - so we always fall through the cracks when it comes to communication, award ceremonies, when things are changed at the last minute.  Crap like that.

Sami told me she wanted to stay the entire time (meaning watching the boys play after the girls) which meant I would be driving home alone if I went.  I told her that was fine - I did not want to stay, I just wanted to see her play.  She ended up coming home with me.  She was upset with the coach - Sami wanted more play time.  She forgets that she played the entire game last weekend and someone else didn't.  These things happen.

Let's talk about that game.  Another cruze to Idaho.  This time Payette.  Farm country.  We came home the back way (courtesy of google maps talking to me on my smarty pants phone and giving me the creepy feeling that we were headed nowhere fast) and drove along a river.  Oh it was lovely.  I LOVE rivers - it reminded me of the Sacramento River near Chico, CA.  Heck,  I miss Chico.  All things Chico.  Bidwell Park, coffee shops, almond orchards, back country drives (but knowing where the heck you are), riding my town cruiser.  Bucket list.

Highlights from this past week
  1. Back to School!  Monday.  One Senior.  One Junior.  Cookies made and delivered bright and early Monday morning to school. Sami loved them.  Jake?  Mr. mellow doesn't say much.
  2. Jake got his driver's license. Yahoo!  He almost puked, I am sure of it.  He could not eat he was so nervous.  But when he found out he passed - he was a new man. I don't think I have really seen him that excited and vocal! Boasting was more like it. And ready to taunt his sister who failed her first time. Yes, sibling rivalry - a healthy dose.
  3. Searching my craft room/bedroom/junk stash under the bed and in my closet for Sami's past awards.  For her 'college prep' work.  A class requires her to get ready - including a resume, applying to two universities, job shadowing for 15 hours and a mentor.  Trying to find a Marine Biologist in Eastern Oregon is going to be a challenge. I tried. Most likely we will be taking a trip west - to OSU and the coast.  I have a few work friends who are helping with ideas:  Drop the kid off at the Hatfield Marine Center and we go to Rogue Brewery. Or, go to Friday Harbor in Washington.  I see a road trip and adventure in our future.  Oh.. some awards were found in her bedroom.  By me. And yes, I told her so. Teens.  And all of the grade school awards were in my possession.  We are missing a few years.  Project for later today.
  4. Registering for the SATs.  Fifty four bucks.
  5. Soccer Fees:  One hundred three bucks. 
  6. Homework:  Jake doing pre-calculus and Sami teasing him that she finished hers in class.  Yes, they are in the same class.  Happens quite often.  This semester they have 2 classes together- three if you count the class Sami is TA'ing. 
  7. Worked a school fundraiser - Thursday night.  Concert in Baker at the High School Football field.  Soccer girls and parents. Food concessions.  Hot chocolate was a hit.  Cold drinks were not.  First night of getting colder around here.
  8. Snow.  Yes, snow.  In the mountains Friday night.  Friday morning my morning walk was in 29 degrees.  Rained that evening, which is snow at higher elevations.  Good thing I didn't have to work!  
Well, coffee cup is empty and washing machine corrected itself.  Time for me to get moving.  I am hoping to 'hike a mountain' today.  Now that the air is clear and crisp I am craving a 'the hills are alive' shout, spin and top of the mountain view.  Yes. I do this every now and then. Mostly at lower elevations and  in my yard.  Embarrasses the heck out of my kids.

Have a great day friends and family. 
xo.


No comments:

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...