Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Recipe Thursday - German Short Ribs

OK folks! As promised I am adding a new category to my posts, 'Recipe Thursdays'. I figure most of you shop for groceries on Fridays or Saturdays, so if I post on Wednesday, this will show up in your Thursday mail (for subscribers).

This recipe comes from one of our Boise customers, Elaine K. She purchased our grass-fed ribs, and the next time I saw her she talked about how awesome they turned out! Of course, I just had to get the recipe! The meat falls off the bones folks! The reason I like this recipe is it is an 'on top of the stove' one, meaning, any of us can do it. I have another fave that requires a slow roaster, yet it is super simple!

Here is Elaines' recipe:

German Short Ribs (from Sunset Cook Book of Favorite Recipes)

2 ½ to 3 lbs of beef short ribs (try Sexton Ranches Grass Fed Beef!)

flour, salt and pepper to taste

2 tbs oil

1 or 2 med onions thinly sliced ( I used one)

1 cup dry red wine

½ cup chili sauce or catsup (I mixed some of both together)

3 tbs each brown sugar and apple cider vinegar

1 tbs Worcestershire

1 ½ tbs flour with ½ cup flour

Dredge the short ribs in seasoned flour. Heat oil in a Dutch Oven add short ribs and cook slowly until well browned all over. Add onions and brown lightly. Then add the wine, chili sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and Worcestershire. Cover and cook over very low heat for until meat is tender, about 2 hours.

This is all I did. I didn’t keep the sauce. I then served the short ribs which were quite sweet and tasty with corn bread and fried okra.

The recipe says to remove from heat, cool and refrigerate. Then lift off all the fat. Heat and stir in the flour blended with water. Cook until thickened and meat is heated.

All comments are from Elaine. I tossed in the one about our beef (well, that is what she used!).. Thanks, Elaine!


2 comments:

Kerilou said...

This sounds very good, and looks easy...we have a family meatball recipe that sounds similar...the sauce takes ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and worchesteshire. very yummy!! Like the new recipe angle...I have been thinking about it lately, too..Keri

Catherine Mary said...

Hello! I came across your recipe for German Short Ribs after Googling that topic. I made this for tonight's supper and it was very good. You should have used the sauce though--it was very good. Thanks for posting the recipe.

2023 December Daily : Monday December 5th

  Monday's Morning Adventure This word keeps showing up for me! Again. Hope.  This is Dukey! This is Carly Sami and Lane's Dirt Road...